Making Boats Look Like New and Stay Like New
Every service we offer at Ship Shape has the same aim – to make your boat look like new and stay looking like new. For every surface of a boat we have our own unique process that:
1. Restores the surface back to new condition
2. Protects the restored surface from ageing
3. Keeps the restored and protected surface looking like new with minimal effort
So if your boat is looking old then here’s how we can make her look like new again:
Restoring Your Gelcoat’s Shine
If your gelcoat or paint is faded or dull, we can (in all but the most extreme cases) restore the original shine. We will also slow down the rate of fading and, in many cases, we are able to maintain the boat’s shine indefinitely without causing any damage to the surface.
If you’ve had your boat polished before you will know that the shine doesn’t last long. That’s because cutting compounds accelerate the ageing (fading) of the surface. You will no doubt have seen the fading return much quicker than it developed originally and, because the cutting process thins your gelcoat layer to produce a shine, repeated treatments will ultimately lead to you needing to re-gel or paint the boat – huge repair bills.
The effects of compound polishing are devastating, both in terms of how the boat looks and the long term damage and cost to your boat so we do not use any abrasive compound polishes in our polishing system.
Instead we use a combination of 2 nano-polishes to restore the shine to gelcoat and painted surfaces. Nano-polishes have several huge advantages over compound polishing:
- A much greater shine is achieved in a single polishing treatment because nano-polishes create a very smooth and even (reflective) surface.
- Nano-polishing also slows the fading process because it reduces the surface area (by making it very smooth and even) in contrast to a cutting compound that increases surface area by creating deep abrasive grooves in the surface – these are the swirl-marks you will have seen on most polished surfaces.
- Future repair costs are completely avoided because the gelcoat surface is not thinned by nano-polishes. This is because we are able to remove only the dry damaged (oxidised) parts of the surface, leaving the moisture-rich protective layer fully intact.
Once your surface shine has been restored, we have 2 levels of protection against the ageing effects of the sun’s UV rays and saltwater environment.
Protecting the New Gelcoat Shine
- A Finish That Almost No Boat Owners Enjoy But Nearly Every Boat Can Have and Keep
A restored or new shiny gelcoat surface can be protected from fading with regular cleaning and the right coating. We do not use a wax after polishing because was, as you know, melts with the heat of the sun and is easily rubbed off the surface.
We use high-bonding nano-coatings to protect shiny polished gelcoat surfaces because, unlike a wax which only holds onto a surface with friction, these coatings are engineered to grab on to the surface much tighter using either an electrostatic or chemical bond. The result is that they last much longer than a wax, their dirt-repellant properties keep the surface cleaner making it much less work to keep clean and they keep boats looking shiny and new for much longer.
Antifouling – Complete Protection Below the Waterline
Whether you have a new boat that needs its first antifouling or you just need your annual hull cleaning and antifouling, we provide a fast, thorough and professional service to ensure your hull is completely protected from the risk of osmosis which can lead huge repair bills.
We focus on a detailed hull preparation to make sure the antifoul has the best possible surface to grip hold of, making sure it protects the hull properly all season. We also ensuring a neat waterline and thorough antifouling application using good quality International products.
As part of our complete antifouling service we also offer cleaning and painting of outdrives, polishing of running grear and anode replacement.
Washdown & Protection of All Other Boat Surfaces
For every other surface of the boat we have a cleaning, polishing and protective coating that enhances its appearance to the best it can be and then keeps it that way:
What To Expect From Our Service
Every boat has a different combination of surfaces that are in a different condition. So for every enquiry we receive we will inspect the boat and, based on what you are looking to achieve from the work, we will provide a Free Report by email with:
- An assessment of the condition of all your boat’s surfaces
- Impartial advice on what should be done to bring each surface to its best possible finish
- A description and quote of work options we would recommend carrying out if we were to do the work for you
We have worked on boats of all types and sizes from 3m RIBS to 30m Super Yachts and we provide Free boat care advice, materials with DIY instructions, one-off restoration and cleaning services or tailored year-round complete boat care packages.
From the moment you enquire your work will be handled by a dedicated client services manager based who can be reached at any time and our experienced team of cleaning and restoration specialists who carry out the work.
Areas We Cover
In Plymouth we provide boat polishing, cleaning and antifouling services in every boat yard: Yacht Haven Quay, Plymouth Yacht Haven / Mount Batten, Queen Annes Battery (QAB), Sutton Harbour, Millbay Marina, Mayflower Marina.
Outside Plymouth we perform specialist gelcoat restoration and protection across the UK, Europe and Internationally on new and used boats.